Skip to main content

Lisboa no Coraçao

It was in 2009 the first time that heard about Portugal and it is in my heart since then.
I was almost 19 and it was my first time living  far from my family. You might know that it is not so common for Italians to go to live far from their parents so early. The most of us love living at home almost till 30, someone also more than it.
Anyway, I went to Genova to study and I lived in a student residence. There I met one of the most important person of my life. She was Polish and she had 7 years more than me.
At that time she had already traveled a lot. For her everything started with an erasmus in 2005 in Portugal. We spent our evening talking, in English of course, and  learning, a least I have lerned a lot from her. It was a new language, a new culture, a new perspective. My first big discovery: there was someone living outside my country which could understand me much better than people from my own country.
She was the first one who thalk me about Portugal and Lisbon. I remember the evening spent in our rooms showing the photo of this wonderfull country, and the portuguese and brasialian songs listened to together.


From then on it was a crescendo of coincidences which broght me to study and to work in Lisbon.
Soon after I met here Portugal/portuguese language/culture were something irremoveble from my mind: I bought books of portuguese writers and italians authors who have written about Portugal. I have fought also against the Student secretary to have  Portuguese couse to attend in my student schedule.
Finally I arrived in Lisbon on the 2nd February 2011. I succeed in gaining an erasmus student scholarship to study the language and the culture there. I stayed there 5 months, but when I went back that country, that city was still an obsession, but a melanchonic one. I just fell in love with it and that was all, there was nothing rational in it. For the fist time I had experimented the saudade feeling on my skin. From one side I was happy since it meant that I was very involved into that culture, from the other side I was not happy at all, because I was suffering. 
I had to come back, it was the only solution. I was back on March 2012 for my birthday, and then in May of the same year since I found an intership there. That was a good excuse to spent there 4 months more.
After a 2 years-pause I came back again in January 2015 but  just for holidays with some friends. Everything was the same as I left: beautiful

So what is next? For sure I had to come back again and again to "kill the saudade" (matar a saudade). The saudade feeling is still in my heart and made me remind of my beloved Lisbon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Portuguese Words you can't Traslate in English

  As a Portuguese learner and Brazilian culture and music passionate, I couldn’t stop noticing that some words do not have a translation in other languages. In my experience Portuguese language is charming and full of words that hold a tremendous amount of feeling and symbolism. Indeed, Brazilian culture is deeply intertwined with music, rhythm, traditions, and feelings. Some feelings and gestures do not have a translation. Here are my personal list with the 7 most meaningful words in Brazilian Portuguese that simply cannot be translated completely into English. 1 )Saudade Probably the most untranslatable Portuguese word. It is a nostalgic and profound state of melancholic longing for a person, place, a situation or anything that exists. It often carries a repressed knowledge that the object of longing might never return. In English can be expressed with melancholy, longing, or nostalgia. Ex. Que saudade daquela época onde a gente ainda era criança e se divertia com n

My secret passion: Aerial Silks

Me training in a circus One of my favourite passions which combines dance with acrobatics, is called "Aerial silks". Wikipedia helped me with a definition: “Aerial silks (also known as aerial tissues, fabric, or ribbons) are a type of performance in which one or more artists performs aerial acrobatics while hanging from a fabric. The fabric may be hung as two pieces, or a single piece, folded to make a loop, classified as hammock silks. Performers climb the suspended fabric without the use of safety lines, and rely only on their training and skill to ensure safety. They use the fabric to wrap, suspend, fall, swing, and spiral their bodies into and out of various positions. Aerial silks may be used to fly through the air, striking poses and figures while flying.” I would also add that is an “art” taught in circus school together with aerial trapeze and aerial hoop. Nowadays, yoga centres or pole dance schools have started to open courses of aerial silks, trying

The Brazilian tango: Samba de Gafieira

One of the dances I am learning at the moment is Samba, but not the kind of samba you are thinking of with prominent dancers in tight and shining swimming suits,  what I am referring to is Samba de Gafiera, a couple dance originated in the 1940's in Rio de Janeiro's gafieira (working-class dance halls). Couple dancing Samba de Gafieira It is a partner dance that incorporates Carnival Samba, Salsa and Argentine Tango concepts. The dance derived from the  Maxixe and followed the arrival of the Choro (another samba musical style). It left most of the Maxixe’s Polka elements behind but maintained the entwined leg movements of the Argentine Tango, although adopting a more relaxed posture than the latter. But why is so charming? Well, one of the most important aspect in gafieira is the male dancer’s attitude towards the female one. Here I have to introduce you the “malandragem” concept. Literally translated as “rascality” ir “naughtiness”, in the Brazilian music and cultur